If you are a mid-sized organization with heavy online needs and presence, having your dedicated server with the right specifications can be prohibitively expensive. You need a lot of expensive support structures besides the server. You need to have back generators and UPS for uninterrupted service, high bandwidth network, technical support and maintenance, security for the server and custom built Structures. All this is very expensive. Co-location facilities are places that provide space, power; bandwidth and technical support for your server. There is the concierge service provider in the server world. They do your support work while your team does the productive work.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER IN SERVER COLOCATION
- The flexibility of the colocation facility. You need a place that can accommodate your needs and budget. Tier 1 is appropriate for small business. The higher the tier level, the higher the levels of uptime and redundancy.
- Technical support and availability. Always choose colocation facilities with 24/7 expert support and availability. It’s the whole point of seeking such facilities. The engineers should also be certified to offer support.
- Availability of redundant and resilient infrastructure. It includes the network, power and building.
- The facilities should be ISO and PCI compliant. It means it adheres to high standards and will most likely not disappoint. Other important certifications include SAS70and SSAE16.
- Physical security of the premise is also important. The building should at the very least have CCTV cameras and lockable cabinets. Any additional measure is welcome addition.
- Price per square foot. Seek the best value for your money. A colocation service shouldn’t cost an arm.
- You need facilities you can scale up as your business grows. It’s very inefficient to keep on moving to a new colocation service provider.
Colocation offers numerous benefits. The most obvious being the cost of bandwidths. It offers higher speeds and better redundancy for connections. In the case of power outage, colocations have better protection. They can ensure your business keeps running even in a hurricane. They are built to protect against the worst. It’s also important to realise you still own the server. You control the server maintenance, operating system and other things. In case, you don’t have an IT team, or you can hire the colocation team to maintain the server for you. Besides increased physical security, you get a more reliable service with data security. It also means in the case of any catastrophic happening in your office; you secure.
Depending on your area of location, Server colocation is just an alternative. Finding a good centre is not easy. It must be within reasonable distance from your offices otherwise you have to hire a maintenance team. Other choices you have included cloud hosting, dedicated servers and virtual servers. It’s also important to note you billed monthly depending on your usage. The choice ultimately lies in your needs and physical realities. The best choice is always a scalable option.